Monday, December 14, 2009

Improper Fractions

My block class of Pre-Algebra students bombed their fraction test last week. We have worked so hard on addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of fractions for over 2 weeks now. Needless to say I was pretty depressed about it. One of the things that my students consistently failed to do on their test was to change their improper fractions into mixed numbers. Today I asked one of the smallest students in the class to come to the front of the room. I pulled a chair up next to him and proceeded to climb up on the chair. I began to throw one leg over the student's shoulder and while their mouths were hanging open I asked what would happen if I expected this poor student to support my weight- would this student be able to support me? Wouldn't that be improper of me to expect him to do this? I think the light came on in several of their brains...at least for today. I am hoping that they will do well on their final fraction test this Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment