Monday, January 4, 2010

Making Math Real

This year one of my goals in my math classroom is to make stronger connections between math and the real world for my students. The Futures Channel is a site that my principal shared with me about 4 or 5 years ago, and it is perfect for this task. The site is a collection of videos that connect math and science to careers in the real world...and they are really interesting for students! I used it a lot with my students when I first learned about the site, and would even link some of their videos to my homework calendar for my students to watch at home. The site makes it easy to find topics that go along with the math instruction in your classroom. With all the new technology that has come out in the last year or two, I have gotten away from incorporating these videos in my math lessons. I am going to try this year to get at least one in every week and work harder at making connections to math and the real world with my students. I think it is important for students to see that math is a necessary tool for just about any career that they might be interested in and that math can be fun too! The cell phones were a big item on many of my students' Christmas lists this year. This video is a good example of how they tie math in to cell phone design.

No comments:

Post a Comment