Sunday, April 11, 2010

Professor Weathers and April Fool's 2010



I found this Youtube video in Mathing, a blog that I follow, of an April Fool's joke that Professor Weathers' from Biola University pulled on his college math students. He did something so cool that it has me thinking about something  to try on my class to catch them off guard and add a little bit of fun to class...in fact I lost sleep last night trying to come up with some idea to use before the end of the school year. Take a peek at this video. When you are done it gives a link to a "how-to video" in which Weathers explains how he created the special effects. You might also want to take a look at the professor's Halloween video from last year. This one has special effects that seem a little easier to pull off on my own. Regardless, how cool would it be to have a teacher that puts this much thought and time into what he does in the classroom? I am sure he makes learning enjoyable on a daily basis!

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel these have questionable instructional value on their own. On the Halloween video you mention, notice how he skips over the math parts. Even if he didn't skip it, it was short. My hunch is that the "extra effort" that you put into the classroom buys some positive karma for the really mechanical parts you have to get the kids through.

    Don't lose sleep over it! It might be a good idea to use the off-season (summer) to build up some of these materials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about the instructional value. That's what I was losing sleep over! Trying to think of how I could be teaching a math lesson on quadratic equations for example, and ending the lesson with something fun to make it memorable. Summer will most likely be the best time to work it all through. If I come up with anything I will share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I didn't discourage you. I'm just remembering back to when I spent time up late on this quadratic factoring idea. Not sure how useful it was, or whether the point was even that important. Here's a link to the quadratic grid I mention in the above post. In retrospect, it would've been a better use of time to work on it during summer and not be tired/stressed out the next day. Hence my recommendation above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the help! This looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete