Monday, April 5, 2010

Mathletic All-School Review

Tomorrow my eigth graders will begin their state assessment testing. Technology has really made a big difference helping to make review activities fun. This past week we played Are You Smarter than an 8th Grader?, 20 Questions, and Big Board Review, giving students some fun practice using released items from the state, along with some other fun review games. (Feel free to change names, questions, or add to the games attached.) A favorite review activity of mine and my students is our annual all-school mathletic review. We hold it in the gym. All you need is a collection of review questions. We have our contest during homeroom at the end of the day, and each homeroom participates. Classes are divided into groups of 3-4 students each. I create enough review booklets of about 14-16 questions with one review question per page for each student group. Students leave the booklets upside down until I tell them to tear off one of the questions, one at a time. I give them a certain amount of time to answer the question before my graders run around collecting from each homeroom. I share the correct answer, talk about testing strategies...maybe even sing a song or two. Winning homerooms are announced. It is lots of work, but it is worth the effort, and students love it. This year students' results were the best ever... Now let's see how they do on the assessment!

3 comments:

  1. Do you have certain rules or directions that you follow when playing the review games that you posted (which are great by the way!)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as the whole school review, I do this by grade levels- that way I can focus on each grade level's tested indicators. I generally use items that teachers give me ahead of time that they have mentioned students need extra work on. I encourage homeroom teachers to make their 3-4 member student groups of mixed ability levels in order that they can help each other out. Other than that- no special rules. I have a time limit depending on the difficulty of the question. When the time is up I go over the question and the correct answer before moving on. Students leave the question booklet upside down until I tell them to rip off the top page to go on to the next question. (I use different colored papers so it is easy to tell them which question is next.) Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking you might have been asking about my power point games instead of the All-School Review...In that case- it really depends on the class. For example in the "Are You Smarter Than?", I have all students work out the problems on paper and grade/keep track of their scores. I collect papers at the end of class and grade as homework, which I just take completion grades. On "Twenty Questions" again I ask that all kids work out all problems either on white boards or paper. The last time, I let students work by rows, they had to each work the problem and then agree on an answer. Other rows could steal the points if they thought the answer was wrong and they had the correct answer. Again, doing things this way has all students engaged and getting practice.

    ReplyDelete