Friday, October 1, 2010

Time is Flying By

I can't believe that today is October 1st and Parent-Teacher Conferences and the end of the first quarter are just two weeks away. My algebra kids have been really busy so far this year. We have flown through Order of Operations, Properties, Statistics: Displaying and Analyzing Data, Simple Probability, Multi-Step Equations, and we are taking our time with Linear Equations and graphing. Our Feltron Project seems to be coming along nicely. I am doing the project along with them and am amazed at all the miles I am racking up walking my dog Henry. (175 so far with 2 months to go!) My classroom walls were full of math projects like Tarsia and "Facing Math" from Multi-step equation practice. I was taking things down today to make room for our graphing projects and just thought I would share a few of my Facing Math projects done by students. They loved doing them, and like me, were amazed at how easy it was to "grade" the assignment. Wrong answers really stand out and are easy to detect because the final project ends up looking different from these.

2 comments:

  1. How do these "Facing Math" projects work? I looked at the website, but it didn't give many details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students are given a blank "head" worksheet along with a worksheet that concentrates on a certain math skill. The face above was on multi-step equations. Students have around 25 problems to solve and they have a choice of 2 answers for each problem that tells them what they are to draw...i.e. If you get a 4 draw a scar on the left arm. If you get a -4 draw a scar on the right arm.

    ReplyDelete