Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Slope-Intercept Form Line Art

The following assignment is one that comes at the end of our chapter on graphing linear equations. I ask students to design a picture on graph paper using 10 lines with positive slope, 10 lines with negative slope, 5 lines with zero slope, and 5 lines with undefined slope. Students are to give the equation for the line in slope-intercept form, but you could use Standard form, or point-slope form if desired. Here are just a few of my students' final projects.

 The project above, #44, really touched my heart. Our district lost a student during a high school football game just a couple of weeks ago. You might have heard about it on the national news. The young man, Nathan Stiles, was one of my former students. I had him for both Pre-Algebra and Algebra. He was one of the finest young men I have ever had the opportunity to teach. His life touched many others. Nathan was one of those kids that everyone looked up to and admired...and he had a kind word for everyone that he saw. One of my students designed her line art for Nathan, using his football jersey number. Nathan loved to read his bible, and his parents have started up The Nathan Project in his honor. It's nice to see a little of Nathan rubbing off on the rest of us left behind.
 I am a huge Kansas Jayhawk fan, so I was tickled with the above project. ROCK CHALK!
 I wish you could see all the detail in this one...all I can say is amazing! This assignment gives students a great chance to show their knowledge of Slope-Intercept Form and their creativity as well.

5 comments:

  1. I am a student currently studying to become a secondary math teacher. It is great to see teachers using math in fun ways. It is hard to get students who don't enjoy math to have a different view but this is a great example of how you can. The art work is neat and very creative! I'm extremely impressed. Are there other creative ways you get the students to enjoy math?

    I also was touched by the students artwork dedicated to the boy who lost his life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep math fun for students and keep it real. Give them ownership of their learning. You will be surprised at what they will do. Learn from other teachers- take what you can use and make it work for you. Right now my students are enjoying working on a multimedia project for the tested indicators for the state assessments. Here is a link to their slides: https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0ARoo_IugYHCyZGZuZmdzN2dfMGczcTJrN3R6&hl=en&authkey=CPr4ipgN

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really impressed by the creativity and and obvious enthusiasm the students had in completing this project. I am currently seeking project based learning materials for my students. Is there anyway you would share your lesson plans with me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its an awesome post on Slope Intercept form and i really appreciate this post. i was searching content regarding slope formula or something like that on many forum sites but there was not sufficient learning material. but this one is better..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am an 8th grade math teacher and was looking for ideas for a slope/y-intercept project for an enrichment class. I absolutely LOVE this idea and will be starting it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete