Friday, October 7, 2011

To Blog or Not to Blog

This year school seems busier than ever. I have a great group of students and they come to class with positive attitudes ready to learn. They seem to enjoy class and the activities I plan to reinforce my math lessons. I am still trying out new things. As far as technology goes, I find myself spending more time working on the technology that is available to the pupils and teachers in my district such as Moodle  as well as supporting the other teachers in my district with their learning. At the end of the day I go home happy. I walk my dog, go to my yoga class and catch up on the news of the day. I have not made the time to blog like I have in the past. I have been beginning to question whether blogging is a good use of my time- if I should move on to other things, Then this week I decided to check out some blogs I follow that I haven't taken the time to check out in a while and I remembered why I fell in love with blogging in the first place. Miss Calculate had a great post about algebra writing prompts. Dy/Dan is still at it with a great post on the shower vs. bath. I am enjoying reading  Old Math Dog Learning New Tricks. My creative juices are flowing and my fellow bloggers are the reason why. A fellow teacher at my school asked me last week where I had gotten the idea I was using that day for practicing function notation. We were "playing" a survivor type activity. Students were divided into groups of four and worked on problems together as a team. When they all agreed to an answer they would have me come by to check their work. If they had the correct answer they could erase one of another teams' "treasures". The team left at the end with the most treasures won a prize. Students had so much fun trying to take out other teams- creating alliances. One class even worked it out at the end to have everyone win. Luckily I had enough pencils, pennies and stickers! The amount of work and review the students were doing in their survivor teams was amazing- but the most amazing thing of all was the amount of fun the students had learning/practicing their function notation skills. I guess this is why I really blog. To learn and be inspired by other bloggers as well as to share what goes on in my classroom... and to get my creative juices flowing!

7 comments:

  1. I am glad you are blogging. I am currently a math teacher in Nashville, TN and working towards my Masters through Walden University. A few weeks back we had to find some information online and they suggested looking into blogs. I never realized math teachers blog! I have several friends that blog about their kids, family, or recipes but finding math teacher's blogging was great! I do not know how you find time to do it, but it has sparked my interest into setting one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are still blogging. This is my second year teaching 7th grade math and I check your blog all the time for new ideas. Based on your recommendation, I ordered the FACEing Math workbook over the summer and my students LOVED the first lesson from the Pre-Algebra workbook. Because I have gotten so many great ideas from you and other math blogs, I want to reciprocate and am hoping to set up my own blog this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Don't you just love FACEing Math? Wish I had thought of something like that! I have found so many ideas from other bloggers that I find that I rarely repeat anything over the course of the year. I did a station-to-station activity today and thought to myself that it works so well I should do it more than once a year! Have fun blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up -- else I'd not have found your link to Knovio. I have Camtasia on my home computer but not at work (I have a walk in tutoring lab at a community college and specialize in the pre-college math, so I work with a lot of people who need a lot more than, oh, salman khan's little videos...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please keep blogging! I have just recently found your blog, and I can already tell that it will be a good resource for me. You have also led me to discover other good blogs and ideas for integrating technology into the classroom, and I've just begun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you decided to continue blogging. I am a middle school math teacher in Georgia. I had no idea that a blog about middle school math even existed! The amount of information here is incredible. I can't wait to come back and spend more time looking around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christy,

    Found your blog via Math Teacher Mambo and glad to hear you'll continue! I just started a blog also, and it's good to know there is community out there. If you have a chance, please check out my blog at http://fawnnguyen.com. I've been teaching middle school for 20+ years and math is my passion. I appreciate all new ideas, so please keep posting. I share math puzzles on my blog, and recipes and anecdotes about teaching and being a mom. Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete