Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I Have The Math In Me

Looking for a fun writing activity for your math class? You Are Your Words is a great site to try out. You can upload a picture or take a picture with your webcam. Upload your text and you have your product in no time flat. (Program works best in Google Chrome.) I gave my students the topic "I have the Math in Me" and asked them to write at least 400 words about all the numbers in their lives and the way they use math in their everyday lives. We printed out their essays and attached these to their Math "portraits" and hung them in the halls throughout the school for everyone to enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for providing this information- I am planning a lesson for my 8th grade Algebra class based upon your example. I think the students will love this! Did you use cell phone cameras at all for the project and if so was the quality good enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our computer labs have cameras that the students used to take their photos. Cell phone cameras would work for the project fine I am sure as well as any other photo of themselves they might want to upload. The students loved this activity...and the whole school enjoys stopping by and viewing their portraits.

      Delete
  2. I tried this activity but it never worked properly. I was disappointed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear that. We had great luck with the site on Google Chrome. Firefox works as well. I did have issues with the program when we used Microsoft Explorer. My students loved the site and actually made more than one project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What standard/objective did you use for this lesson?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My focus was on making sense of the math, modeling and attending to precision with math vocabulary. You can vary this activity to make it fit whatever standards you wish to cover.

      Delete