Monday, July 23, 2012

Made 4 Math Monday #4- Just a Little Reward

I recognize my students on their birthdays by having the class sing "Happy Birthday". We all clap for every year old they are- which they just love for some reason. They especially love to clap my age on my birthday! (I warn them to wear padded gloves a day ahead.) I also give my students a free homework pass on their birthday that they can use for any regular assignment of their choice. The pass does not cost me a cent and they are easy to have available so I never have to worry about missing out on any student's special day.  But what about those times you need a reward for the student that put out that extra effort? The student that goes out of their way to help another student in your classroom? Or the student that persisted and finally met a goal? According to my students, one of my strengths as a teacher is recognizing them when they do something good. I give lots of verbal praise and I have been known to reward a whole class for a job well done with my brownies and cookies. They say my baking is the best. I think they really just appreciate the fact that I made something just for them. Anyway, I saw something on pinterest about making scratch-off tickets for prizes and I thought that this might be a fun project to try for Made 4 Math Monday #4. I started off by making a google document with a bunch of coupons with  our school logo and a description of the prize such as a free pencil, pen, notebook, or free homework pass.
Scratch Your Luck

Free Pencil

I plan on running these coupons off onto thicker paper at school but I wanted to try it out at home to see if it works for M4MM first, so I just made a few samples at home. Besides your printed coupons, all you need for this project is some clear packing tape, just a drop or two of dish soap to mix into your acrylic paint, and a paint brush.


Place a piece of clear packing tape over the part of the coupon that you plan to paint over. You could also laminate your tickets I suppose and then paint on top of these as well.


Now all you need to do is mix a couple drops of dish soap into your acrylic paint. I wanted my paint to be gray, but you could use any color you want. Paint over the reward portion of the coupon and let dry.


Once my paint was dry I tried out my scratch-off ticket to see if it worked and it did! Think I will keep a few of these coupons around for those special times when I need to recognize a student for going above and beyond.


The tickets should be fun to have around to surprise my students with but I think I will still spoil them with some of baking every now and then too! Here is one of my favorite summer cookie recipes for you in honor of M4MM #4. The recipe only calls for four ingredients!

Lemon Drops
1 cup butter
1/3 cup powdered sugar
Cream first two ingredients then add:
2/3 cup corn starch
1 cup flour
Blend all 4 ingredients. Drop onto cookie sheet and bake @325 for 15-20 minutes.
Icing:
1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Zest of lemon
Blend icing and spread on top of cooled cookies. Melt in your mouth good!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE!!! I like that they have to scratch off to see their prize...SUSPENSE AND FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this idea on Pinterest before, but I never realized that it was this simple. I need to come up with an idea to use these for in my class! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful ideas! I love the scratch-off cards, and I had no idea the "recipe" was so easy. I can see myself making cards for my students and for faculty meetings, staff development, etc. What a fun treat! Thanks also for the lemon drop recipe...they sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of using this as rewards! Now to brainstorm how else to use it! Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the reward cards!! But I'm NOT, I repeat, I'm NOT doing the scratch-offs!! Too much work, and I'm whining. I can't even see myself hand-writing the cards. But I see myself making a full sheet of it on computer and running them off by the hundreds :) C'mon, Christy, I was hoping for lemon drop martini. Fewer calories, hello?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny thing in my classroom: The kids LOVE to stand on their chair and cheer! You can't believe how hard they work, especially on assessments, for the chance to stand on their chair and cheer. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete