Saturday, July 21, 2012

Twitter Math Camp- #TMC12- St. Louis, Missouri

Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School
(MICDS)
July 19-22, 2012
One word describes my experience at Math Camp this week- AWESOME! Forty math blogger/tweeters from 17 states and Canada met for a great series of presentations at MICDS in St. Louis, one of the most beautiful schools I have ever set foot in. Did I mention that the school hosted us for free? Unbelievably awesome! If you take a peek at the program of presentations and topics covered you get an idea of how amazing it was. I headed to St. Louis with high expectations and got much more from the experience than I ever imagined I would. Just meeting all of my favorite bloggers in person was great. Finding new and talented bloggers/tweeters to follow took this experience over the top! Math teachers shared their "favorites". I attended sessions on flipping math classrooms, another outstanding session about Mathalicious (if you want to make your math class more real to your students take a peek...wish I had had Karim Ani for my math teacher. You do need to sign up for the program- it does cost $ but you/your school can pay what you think it's worth. I think it is worth every bit of the $20 per month myself.) Foldables, Google organization, collaboration strategies, etc. were just a few of the other topics that I attended. Want to get a sample of the sessions? Check out the math wiki and you will get an idea of how outstanding the sessions were.The days flew by and the evenings were enjoyable too. Can you imagine the fun 40 math teacher had eating out at Pi Pizzaria drinking out of glasses with Pi and its digits surrounding it? Thanks to Lisa Henry and Shelly Temple for getting the whole #TMC12 event organized and running smoothly. Best math conference ever!

3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and I love it! I so wanted to go to math camp this week, but un/fortunately my middle son had his All-Star BB tournament and I will be in a math academy this entire week. Thanks so much for the wiki link. What a tremendous wealth of info! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed meeting you Christy. I hope we have another opportunity to meet again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have no idea how much fun I had meeting you and everyone else at TMC12. You did such an outstanding job leading us all every day. I had to leave a day early but I kept up with everyone on Twitter. Sounds like Day 3 was fantastic as well! Hope to see everyone again and will encourage my friends to go to TMC13!

    ReplyDelete