Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Mission #4- Listen and Learn @MTBoS

I have enjoyed attending a couple of Global Math sessions over the last year but have not been a regular. I find it hard to attend the live conference sessions so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that you can watch old episodes at any time. No reason to miss a session that interests me any more! One session that had sounded interesting to me previously but I could not attend was a session on review activities. So I grabbed my computer and a cup of coffee the other night and took in "Review Activities That Don't Suck". I like activities that are easy to put together, are fun, and require all students participate in the review. I liked what I saw and tucked away a couple of ideas for my next review with students. Little did I know that I would be using one of the ideas the very next day at school. A lesson that was planned ended up being changed due to shortened class periods to make time for an all-school assembly later on in the day. Last minute I decided to play The Race Car review game over what we had been working on in class. All I needed to do was cut out a car for each group of 4 students. I put math problems up on the screen and had all students work each problem on their whiteboards in their groups. Students could talk to each other and help one another but I would only call on one of the students in each group to hold up their answer at a time- and it was random- they never knew which color I might call out. More difficult problems were worth more miles. Students could move their car that many miles on the board in the front of the room if they were correct. My principal came in to observe that day unannounced and walked into a room of students that were all engaged in the learning activity. I am not even sure how many students even noticed he was there- and he stayed in the room for about 15 minutes. I am sure he had no idea that it was a last minute activity that I put together thanks to Global Math. Best of all the students loved this activity and they got some great practice in and my shortened class time was very productive.

6 comments:

  1. MTBoS is an amazing resource. I'll have to check out that webinar. Is there anything for high school students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say that there are more activities for high school students but I find that I can usually modify things to fit into my middle school classroom. Definitely worth a look!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun group activity. I teach only HS students - and mostly AP level kids. I have a hard time convincing myself that they are still kids at heart and would probably enjoy an activity like this. I think I underestimate their willingness to play along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a fun activity. I teach mostly AP classes at the HS. I should probably try to loosen things up and play a game like this every once in a while. I beth the kids would still be willing to play along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever seen a group of HS students with a box of unifix cubes? THey are all still kids :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great task that can be easily adapted. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete