Saturday, August 22, 2015

First Week Reflection

         The first week is complete. Routines are in place- Seems like I never left! Several of my students are kids that I had as 6th graders and now they are in my 8th grade HS Geometry class. They seem happy to see me again- and I have to admit I am thrilled to see them too. They have a special place in my heart as they are the first students that are on a fast track to graduate with high school geometry credits on their middle school transcripts. Since I spend my 1st two hours of the day with instructional coaching activities I do not see students until my 3rd period. Since first day is always about classroom rules and expectations, I knew I needed to do something different to get students attention and make this boring part of the first day fun. My "Back-to-School" Bingo Activity was perfect. I handed out blank Bingo cards and instructed students to use the numbers 1-24 to fill in their cards in any order they wanted. I used Wheel Decide as my spinner for the topics that I needed to cover with the students in my classroom like fire drill, class rules, quiet signal, etc. I love this spinner tool and generally use it when I need to select students for groups but it was perfect for the Bingo game. Winners could choose from highlighters or pencils. We played 3-4 games in each class to get through the spinner and all the rules. This part of the first day has never been so enjoyable.
      Books have been passed out and lessons have begun. Our student MacBooks will not be distributed until the end of next week. It is amazing to me how much I have changed how I teach my lessons when students all have a MacBook in their hands. I would have loved to be using GeoGebra and Desmos in my lessons this week. Until then we have been creating lines, rays, constructions and more the old fashioned way- getting to know each other again- smiling a lot and getting back into the routine of school.
     

1 comment:

  1. I love the Bingo idea! Always looking for ideas for the first day/week of school that can be fun but still incorporate all the information I need to cover as far as classroom procedures/emergencies/etc.!

    ReplyDelete